Friday, June 11, 2010

Some Offseason Thoughts

It has been a long time since I have had the chance to post but here's a little summary of my thoughts of what is going on around Jets football.

1.)  I am extremely pleased that Mark Sanchez is back on the practice field and fully participating in 11 v. 11's.  Sanchez needs this off-season to get comfortable with new receiver Santonio Holmes as well as with the guys who were around last year.

2.)  The Revis contract situation is something that has gotten a ton of attention in the media recently.  The other day Revis skipped a voluntary minicamp on the day that Hark Knocks was filming promos for the upcoming show.  Revis is looking to become the highest paid corner in the league and I can't say I blame him.  The problem with this is that the current highest contract (belonging to Nnamdi Asomugha (sp?)) is absurd compared to the people behind him.  Asomugha has a contract averaging around 16 million per season and Revis wants to earn above this.  There have been talks of a training camp holdout but I do not see this being the case.  Tennanbaum is slowly submitting offers to the Revis camp and I would bet that a deal is signed sometime before the middle of training camp.  Even if these negotiations run into camp I expect to see Revis there for the majority.

3.)  The rest of the contracts also need to be taken care of.  Nick Mangold needs to have his contract addressed shortly after (or at the same time) as Revis.  Mangold is part of the "core 4"  (Mangold, Revis, Harris, Ferguson) and needs to be signed soon.

4.)  Vernon Gholston is making the switch to defensive end with the Jets being very thin in this area.  This really isn't news until Gholston gets off his ass and decides to become a real football player.  However, it is worth noting that you will have to watch Gholston screw up this season from a three point stance.

5.)  Mark Brunell will be a Jet come the end of July. I guess it is a good thing that we are getting a proven NFL player to back up Sanchez rather than Clemens.  Clemens was a failure for the Jets and I have never been a big fan.  He will catch on somewhere as a 3rd QB and hopefully someday he gets a chance to start.  Thankfully, it won't be for us.

6.)  Hard Knocks should provide an interesting look into Jets camp this August.  My lack of HBO will make watching this show interesting but I look forward to see the interactions between the many different personalities in Jets camp.

7.)  I find it weird that Tomlinson got a Jets tattoo.  It's great and all that he's happy to be a Jet but I wonder if he realizes that he's probably one and done.

8.)  The expectations are higher this season than any I can remember as a Jets fan (except for maybe 1998 but I was too young to notice then).  How the Jets handle these expectations will go a long way in determining the success of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment